Monday, December 1, 2008

Uhh... November When??/Boot Fever/"Bond" in Spanish is still Bond

Oh my goodness, I can't believe it's already December! November seriously FLEW by ridiculously fast, and now I only have thirteen days left in Spain! Where did the time go?? It probably got sucked into my trips to Paris, Barcelona, and Madrid, and my four exams, two presentations, and a paper. Being busy sure makes time fly!

So this weekend was SO busy. On Thursday, everyone in our program got all gussied up and we went to this really nice Spanish restaurant for a "traditional Thanksgiving dinner." I ended up walking around in heels half an hour previous to this dinner due to someone mistakenly telling me they were at a bar on one street, when they were actually at a bar on another street, so my feet were not very happy with me when we got to the restaurant. Anyways, they got the food right (pumpkin soup, turkey, stuffing (sort of), cranberry sauce (literally sauce, not like the jellied stuff), and mashed potatoes) but their portion sizes were a little off (as in way smaller than we're used to). We all just had to face it - nothing beats Thanksgiving at home, where you eat until you go into a literal food coma and then all of your uncles fall asleep "watching the football game." It was a good time, though, and we all ended up hanging out until like three or four in the morning, which was fantastic. It's always good when different groups of friends within the program hang out because we all get along really well; it's just generally too difficult to plan something for all 45 of us.

Friday, Melissa and I celebrated a traditional Black Friday - we shopped... all day. We met up about noon (so five in the morning in Chicago, prime Black Friday shopping time) and were shopping until about seven. I know; me, shopping for seven hours. Pretty crazy, right? We did take probably a two and a half hour break in the middle for lunch (and then waiting for the stores to open up again after siesta), but we were pretty much shopping for the rest of the time. We both ended up getting lots of wonderful things (for ourselves and then LOTS of Christmas presents - I finished shopping for my mom, dad, and sister). After that, Steve met up with us for churros con chocolate and pretty much as soon as he met up with us, he took our bags (and there were a lot of them) and carried them the entire time we were with him. What a gentleman! After we got churros, Melissa headed home but Steve and I roamed around in Corte Ingles for like an hour and a half. We looked at all of the board games and electronics and sports stuff. I didn't end up getting home until 930, so I was out of the house for a full nine and a half hours that day! Now THAT'S one heck of a Black Friday. (It was nice that no one else was celebrating with us, because American Black Friday shoppers are actually kind of scary)

I did get a pair of boots while shopping and I LOVE them. I seriously, love, love, LOVE them and I spent a good portion of yesterday trying on different outfits while wearing them. And now I really want a pair of brown boots so that I can wear boots with my brown clothes as well. I have quite seriously caught boot fever.

Saturday, I did homework all. day. long. It was quite brutal, but I was preparing for my finals, since I have my first one on Thursday (again, WHERE did the time go??). Then I met up with Steve, Brad, and Andrew to go see a movie. We decided to see the new James Bond movie but we had about an hour before it was going to start so we just walked around the mall for a while. We happened upon this strange gaming place and they had this thing that was sort of like a batting cage, except that it had four guns, two on each side, so you were shooting these soft balls at each other. So, of course, the boys were intrigued, so we all went in and it was actually quite a blast. I did get hit quite a few times, but I got a couple of good hits in as well.

So then the movie: it was in Spanish. That's right, I watched my first James Bond movie in Spanish. I got really caught up in the little details of the movie, so it took me a couple of days to decide what I thought of the movie, but in the end I decided I liked it. I did feel like it was just James Bond going to a whole bunch of different countries and killing a whole bunch of people. But apparently that's Bond, so... yeah. Definitely quite the experience.

In any case, I think this is a sufficiently overly-long update,, so until next time,
DOS BESOS!!

No comments: